stories of the Mix family lovin' the country life



Sunday, August 14, 2011

Good Intentions?

(I wrote this post a few days ago.  We had VBS this past week, and I was too busy to post it then.)


I had a very sobering thought today during VBS.  The lesson was from 1 Corinthians 3:12-13, "Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."  

This was my thought: 

"How much of my life right now, as a mom with young children, is based on good intentions instead of actually doing?


I have intentions of building my home like the wise woman in Proverbs 14, but am I actually doing those things that are needed?  Am I, right now, doing the actions of the woman in Proverbs 31, or am I just making plans of what I am going to do someday? 

Here are some excuses that pop up in my head sometimes:
  • I'll start doing ____________ once the baby is sleeping through the night.
  • As soon as we get that, I'll do _______________.
  • As soon as (insert someone's name) does this, then I'll be able to do ___________.
  • Once the kids are older, I'll ____________________.
The whole purpose of my blog is to encourage myself and other women to do those things that we can, and should, be doing right now.  What can I do right now, in my present circumstances, to please the Lord?  Titus 2:4-5 says, "That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

So I'm taking a closer look at what I actually do every day, to see what is getting left out.  I'm going to make one small change each week to my routine to be sure I am building and not just drawing blueprints

This week I'm going to be more consistent about reading to the children from the Bible every day.  I can do this even as I'm nursing the baby, so there's no excuse not to.  I've heard that one minute per year of age is a good limit of how long a child can listen, so I think Psalm 1 will be just about right.  And, now that I think about it, I can picture an art project with a trees and paper apples...hmmmm...yeah, I think we'll be studying trees this week. I can hardly wait! 
Hannah Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment